The Zombie cocktail is a Polynesian Tiki classic. And like all tiki drinks, the ingredients vary because of rivalry and secrecy which made these drinks exclusive to certain tiki bars of yesteryear. I find this recipe to be the best of what I’ve tasted. Of course, I might be presented with a better one, and if I do, I will revise this recipe, but for now, here it is, plain and simple, nothing crazy or hard to find as far as ingredients go. Just a word of caution, this contains enough alcohol for 2-3 people per drink, so sip slowly.
ZOMBIE COCKTAIL RECIPE
- 30ml (1 ounce) Light Rum
- 30ml (1 ounce) Aged Rum
- 30ml (1 ounce) Dark Rum
- 30ml (1 ounce) Curaçao
- 30ml (1 ounce) Fresh Lime Juice
- 30ml (1 ounce) Fresh Lemon Juice
- 30ml (1 ounce) Fresh Orange Juice
- 30ml (1 ounce) Grenadine Syrup
- 2-3 Dashes of Angostura and/or Orange Bitters
- OPTIONAL: Top with 5ml (1 teaspoon of overproof rum like Barrell or Bacardi 151)
- Garnish with orange slice, pineapple and/or cherry
Shake all ingredients with the exception of the overproof rum. Pour into a tall glass with fresh ice and top with a mere teaspoon of overproof rum. Remember, this has 2-3 times the alcohol content of most drinks, which is probably how its earned its name “zombie”. Just two of these should make you look like one.