Secret Chili Recipe
I call this “secret” because its not your ordinary chili recipe, and because it is so different than most, you might even want to enter it in a contest. I am still adjusting it, but so far this is the winner in my house. There is not much different from my original chili recipe, however this one uses 3 different cuts or type of beef: ground beef; short rib side cut; skirt steak.
- 8oz Ground Beef
- 10oz Short Ribs on bone, side cut
- 8oz Skirt Steak
- 1 Can (15oz) Dark Red Kidney Beans
- 1 Can (15oz) Small Pink Kidney Beans
- 1 teaspoon Better than Bullion
- 2.5 Cups Regular Chicken Broth
- 3 Cloves Garlic, shaved
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 Small Orange Bell Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Small (6 oz) Can Tomato Paste (its hard to get all the paste out anyway, 3-5 ounces will do, )
- 1 finely diced Jalapeno slice
- 1 Tablespoon Packed light brown sugar
- 2 Ounces Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Ounce each of Salt & Pepper.
- Sear skirt steak on both sides, remove, allow to cool, dice finely.
- Sear short ribs on both sides, remove
- Brown ground beef
- Remove excess fat with paper towel or drink.
- Deglaze with some apple cider vinegar
- Add tomato paste, herbs, finely diced onions and peppers.
- Allow vegetable to soften, add bullion and chicken stock, along with all the meat(s).
- Cook for 1 hour and add in well-rinsed beans
- After 2 hours add light brown sugar
- Total Cooking time 2.5 to 3 hours