A Réveillion is a dinner party which comes before Christmas or Christmas Eve. It is a European tradition which carried over to particular ethnic cities in North America such as New Orleans, Quebec, etc.
The cocktail itself is not a simple one as it calls for hard to find liqueurs like allspice dram and pear brandy. Apple Brandy is easy to find (apple flavored brandy is not the same). The most popular brand of apple brandy is Laird’s Applejack.
- 60ml (2 ounces) Apple Brandy or Calvados (Laird’s Applejack works well)
- 15ml (1/2 ounce) Allspice Liqueur (also known as pimento dram, you can find a homemade recipe here)
- 15ml (1/2 ounce) Pear Brandy (not pear-flavored)
- 10ml (1/4 ounce) Sweet Vermouth
- Angostura Bitters
- Garnish: cinnamon stick or star anise
Combine all ingredients with ice in a mixing glass and stir vigorously for 30 seconds. Strain into a cocktail glass such as a coupe, garnish, serve.